Occupational Health And Safety

Plumbing Inspections

In Victoria, all plumbing work with a value of $500 or more, most gasfitting work and any work on below grould sanitary drains requires a compliance certificate to be provided to the person for whom the work was done. The $500 value includes all labour, parts and appliances regardless of who they were purchased by.

Only a licenced plumber may issue a compliance certificate. A complaince certificate is the means by which a licenced plumber self-certifies that the plumbing work complies with all legislative requirements.

Licenced plumbers are highly skilled professionals accredited by the Victorian Government industry regulator, The Plumbing Industry Commission. To be licenced a plumber must have obtained the required qualifications, have extensive experience and hold a prescribed level of insurance.

What work can a licensed plumber undertake?

Licensed plumbers may undertake work in any class of plumbing for which they are licensed, may supervise other plumbers (registered or licenced) or plumbing apprentices carrying that class of plumbing work. They may also issue compliance certificates for that class of work

Plumbing work is defined by six classes: water supply, gasfitting, sanitary, roofing (stormwater), draining or mechanical services (heating, cooling and ventilation of buildings). A person must be registered or licensed with the PIC to legally undertake any work within these classes.